Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Jane Eyre



"I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh: it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal--as we are!"  ~ Jane Eyre


I came to the pages of Charlotte Bronte's tale of the humble governess and her impetuous master with trepidation. I'm not one for melodrama, which I pictured as a hallmark of Romantic literature. But though Jane Eyre is full of passions and feelings and a dash of Gothic elements, it has officially ensconced itself on my list of top five favorite books.

Jane Eyre herself won me over. Her determination to persevere against the odds and to respect herself in spite of prejudices against her made me cheer her on. I wanted so badly for her to succeed at anything she set out to accomplish. Bronte certainly writes in the Romantic style (lots of sweeping vistas and impassioned speeches), but her heroine acts like a flesh-and-blood person. I could identify with her internal conflicts between emotion and reason.

Then, of course, there's the broody Mr. Rochester. He's no Mr. Darcy, but he's perfectly suited to Jane Eyre. (They claim that he's ugly, but there's an undeniably sexy charisma beneath that rough exterior.) She can handle him and he can handle her. Despite their social differences, they are equals in mind and spirit. She doesn't want to be trampled on due to her social status and, in the end, he doesn't want to be treated with condescension due to a physical handicap.

Most of all, Bronte's commentary on religion spoke to my heart. I think St. John Rivers had a bit of Bible-thumper in him. (I can just imagine what type of missionary he turned out to be.) He understands Christ's role as Leader of the faithful, I'm not sure he completely understands what it means when the Bible says, "I desire mercy, not sacrifice." In the end, it's Mr. Rochester, the sinner and repentant reprobate, who fully understands Christ's role as Redeemer.

Truth be told, there's a little bit of Rochester and St. John in all Christians, including me. 


"I thank my Maker, that, in the midst of judgement, He has remembered mercy. I humbly entreat my Redeemer to give me strength to lead henceforth a purer life than I have done hitherto!" ~ Rochester

No comments:

Post a Comment