Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Quest


I've discovered a purpose for this blog. It's inspired by the movie Julie & Julia, which in turn, is based on a blog called "The Julie/Julia Project." No, I'm not going to cook my way through each of my Rachael Ray cookbooks, much as I enjoy experimenting in the kitchen. My mission is not to expand my palate but my imagination and thoughts--through reading.

Once upon a time I was a bookworm. As a child I took such delight in sinking into a story. I can still remember being so engrossed in Gone with the Wind that when called to dinner by Mom I was shocked to find myself sitting in my own bed and not in Atlanta, Georgia with Scarlett and Rhett. But somewhere in the last few years the delight faded. 

This blog will chronicle my quest to resurrect my inner bookworm. I'm determined to read through the required reading list for the Master's in English program at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. In between Beowulf and Chaucer, I plan to stuff in a little world lit, a dash of nonfiction, and a generous helping of "fluff" books (Twilight, anyone?). Perhaps I'll reread a few favorites along the way.

And it all starts with Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre.

1 comment:

  1. of course you started with jane eyre...

    :)

    I love you, and I miss you.

    ReplyDelete