
Disclaimer: I recently read in the introduction of a book journal that life is too short to be spent reading things you really don't want to read. The journal's creator recommended digesting at least 50 - 100 pages before deciding to shelf a book. Although I usually feel kinda bad about not finishing books, I've opted to take her advice--because life really is too short.
That being said, I read to page 290 of Here, There Be Dragons by James A. Owen before deciding to move on. I already knew the ending anyway. A very dear friend recommended this book to me and, figuring at the time that I'd never pick it up, I allowed her to spoil it. Her description of the story is actually what intrigued me and enticed me to buy one night at Barnes & Noble.
In the midst of World War I, Oxford scholars John, Charles, and Jack find themselves entrusted with the guardianship of a sacred book known as the Imaginarium Geographica, which contains maps of all the islands in the "imaginary" Archipelago of Dreams. After years with no king on the throne, the creatures of the Archipelago have become embroiled in a bitter feud for power--and none is more power-hungry than the evil Winter King. Aided by the Imaginarium Geographica's previous Caretaker and his sea-faring daughter, the heroes must find the rightful heir, defeat the Winter King, and discover the secret of summoning the dragons back to the Archipelago.
Intriguing concept aside, Here, There Be Dragons is a disappointment.
- I've found at least three typos, including one involving a character's name. As an editor myself, I find that sloppy and inexcusable.
- Dialogue. If you have a character who is almost older than dirt, you don't give him lines like "You seem familiar to me. Not in a 'blood brothers' way, but more of a 'so-you've-come-to-date-my-daughter' sort of way" (emphasis added). Characters should talk like what they are (be it Oxford scholar or beefy centaur).
- The plot line is weird. And it doesn't help that the action frequently comes to a dead halt so that someone can explain something (usually with a long-winded speech) to the bewildered protagonists. This is no bueno.
- There's a blatant "believe-in-yourself" moral thrown in for good measure. Save that for a Disneyland fireworks show. I'm not saying people shouldn't believe in their abilities to handle a challenge; but there are deeper, higher goals to reach for.
It's sad to see a promising premise delivered in a limp style. But that's just my opinion. My dear friend still loves the book and its two (soon-to-be three) sequels.
P.S. Next in the queue: Twilight.

you crack me up!!!
ReplyDelete...and I'm really glad I'm not your English student
:)