Monday, August 3, 2009

Bridget Jones's Diary


I first read the Bridget Jones books while in Scotland on the recommendation of my flatmate. (I had to ask her to explain one or two of the British terms that are excluded from the American printing.) Admittedly, Bridget's "worldliness" (to use Christianese) rather alarmed me--all this obsession with sex, constant drinking, and chain smoking. Yet, I enjoyed the books anyway.


Second time around I found myself identifying more with Bridget. Not the drinking, smoking, and sleeping around part, but the fretting over appearance and self-improvement parts. Just about every woman struggles with her looks one way or another. 

There's a great scene where Bridget begins her day (a Saturday or Sunday I think) determined to be productive and play catch-up on a few work projects. But little by little she wastes her day with things like nail-clipping and daydreaming. Sounds like much of my time--including tonight. 

Overall, the appeal of Bridget Jones is the heroine who laments that everyone else but her always seems to have it together, yet never fails to try, try again to achieve her goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment