
Sorry about the wait, but life and vacation got in the way. Anywho. I did finish Twilight. The last 100 or so pages really sank my opinion of the book.
First off, Meyer drags out the scenes depicting Bella's escape from Forks to Phoenix to avoid becoming lunch for a vicious vampire. Bella spends hours upon hours brooding, working herself up into a martyr mentality. I was about ready to wretch.
Second, the story's one and only action sequence--which was semi-cool in the movie--is reduced to Bella's fuzzy memories and recollections of her worry for Edward. Forget the fact that raging vampire tossed her around a ballet studio as though she were a dog's favorite chew toy or the fact that said vampire also injected her with venom--Edward is all that matters. Gag.
Third, and this really got me riled up, Edward tricks (read forces) Bella to go to the prom. At least the movie had the good sense to make it look like he merely talked her into going. In the book, his sisters dress her up, pretending it's just for fun (and I don't how on this green Earth Bella didn't put two-and-two together), and then Prince Sparkly pretty much bullies Bella into accepting her fate once she does figure it out. What a jerk.
Well, I gave Twilight a chance. The verdict: meh. I had no desire to read the remaining three installments. So it was on to the next book, this time an old favorite: Bridget Jones' Diary.

No comments:
Post a Comment